CuBoxTV is a $100 OpenELEC TV Box Powered by Freescale i.MX6 Quad SoC
SolidRun’s CuBox line of tiny desktop computers are cubes that measure just 2 inches across. But the little boxes sport Ethernet jacks, optical audio output, 2 USB ports and a micro USB port.
They also feature microSD cards for storage, dual or quad-core ARM-based processors, and up to 2GB of RAM. You can use them as tiny desktop computers, media centers, or file servers. Now SolidRun is taking orders for a new model that’s designed specifically for media center use.
It’s called the CuBoxTV, and you can pre-order one for $100.
The CuBoxTV features a Freescale i.MX6 quad-core processor with Vivante GC2000 graphics, 1GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI output, S/PDIF output, and an infrared receiver.
- SoC – Freescale i.MX6 Quad with four Cortex A9 core up to 1GHz, and Vivante GC2000 3D GPU
- System Memory – 1GB SDRAM @ 1066 MHz
- Storage – 8GB internal storage + micro SD interface
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4b, 3D support
- Video Decoders – MPEG-4 ASP, XVID, H.264 HP, H.263, MPEG-2 MP, MJPEG BP, VP8, Sorenson-H263.
- Video Encoders – MPEG-4 SP, H.264 BP, H.263, MJPEG BP
- Image Codecs – JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG.
- Audio Decoders – AAC, AACPlus, MP3, Vorbis, FLAC, audio encoder SBC, MP3, speech codecs G.723.1, G.726, G.711, G.729AB, NB/WB AMR.
- Audio Encoders – SBC, MP3.
- Speech Codecs – G.723.1, G.726, G.711, G.729AB,NB/WB AMR.
- Audio Output – HDMI, optical S/PDIF
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet (Limited to 470 Mbps)
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host port
- Misc – IR receiver
- Power – 5V/3A
- Dimensions – 5.08 x 5.08 x 5.08 cm
What makes this model special though, is that it comes with OpenElec pre-loaded.
That’s a light-weigh, open source Linux-based operating system designed to run the XBMC media center app (soon to be known as Kodi).
Sure, you could just run Android on a CuBox and install the XBMC app for Android. But OpenElec boots straight into the media center interface and uses just about 100MB of disc space for the entire operating system.